Modes

Chris Wiggin

I've just got through to module 11 of Guitar Grid Mastery - the final lesson touching on modes.

I have to say I've spent forty years with my head in the sands about modes, thinking "they're not for me, they're just for guitar theory whizz kids".

Who knew they were so easy to understand?

Don't get me wrong, I intend to work through the more complete modal course and I know I need to spend a helluva a lot more time working with them and getting to understand their different 'flavours' and how and when to apply them but just having the fear of them taken away is a massive help.

I think this sums up the whole approach of Jonathon's lessons. Let's be honest, Jonathon hasn't re-invented the wheel and come up with a whole new way to play the guitar. What he teaches can be found in just about any course or book but what he does do excellently is de-mystify everything down to incredibly easy to understand building blocks.

And I think we can all appreciate and benefit from that.

• Love 1
  • Rock On 4

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I was able improvise with the backing tracks a lot easier as I progressed through the modules. Still not as good as I would like them to be so that is why I am starting them over from the beginning so that I can become more proficient. I am also playing with a group of guys about every other Saturday just doing jam sessions. There are 2 other guys who play rather well and I believe that it helps me progress playing with them as it helps me put the lessons into actual playing 

• Rock On 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/21/2021 at 3:03 PM, Chris Wiggin said:

Let's be honest, Jonathon hasn't re-invented the wheel and come up with a whole new way to play the guitar. What he teaches can be found in just about any course or book but what he does do excellently is de-mystify everything down to incredibly easy to understand building blocks.

Although I was familiar with modes, Jonathan approaches these ideas from a very different perspective which is quite refreshing.  Modes are interesting creatures in that they all have the same seven notes as the major scale, just in a different order and the different intervals change the mood.  In practice though I find only the Ionian (major), Dorian, Mixolydian, and Aeolian (minor) to be particularly useful.

BTW here is a good acronym for remembering the modes: I Don't Play Loud Music After Lunch.