Caged System ?

Total Disorder

Question

5 answers to this question

Hi its Alan here again  with ref to my attempt to answer you question on CAGED system  i recently came across this chart on the pinterest site. I got alot of the theory from there. Take a look, its like a road map of the fret board.  But as you see from my 1st response, lots of other things to learn, just memember 3 notes that make up major and minor chords & you can go along way.

So many other chords like 7ths that you can use. I particularly like D,A7,G and combinations, but its really as they suit your song in the relevant key. Just Enjoy.

45e6aa6b-8d01-4ab7-8bf8-f574fddc0529.jpeg

3 hours ago, Total Disorder said:

What is this ? I hear this term from Guitar  players and have no idea what it is . 

thanks 

Hi Total Disorder, i'd be happier if i were responding to a name, we all get dissordered at some times. Anyway. CAGED, the way i look at it, and If you google it you will see its like a reference map for chords. If you want more theory you can look at pinterest site. But they do inundate you with their posts. But beyond CAGED you can also look to play triads. Each chord usually consists of 3 notes, there's many charts on chord families. So you look for positions where your able to make those  notes comfotably.  I dont know if you've discovered yet. If you play a standard D chord shape at frets 2/3. If you move same shape down 2 frets you have E, another fret F and so on.  So if this is new give it a try. As i say loads of this theory in pinterest. Cheers Alan

Hi its Alan here again  with ref to my attempt to answer you question on CAGED system  i recently came across this chart on the pinterest site. I got alot of the theory from there. Take a look, its like a road map of the fret board.  But as you see from my 1st response, lots of other things to learn, just memember 3 notes that make up major and minor chords & you can go along way.

So many other chords like 7ths that you can use. I particularly like D,A7,G and combinations, but its really as they suit your song in the relevant key. Just Enjoy.

Just now, Alan Desmond said:

Dont worry about using CAGED, just gives sets of different positions for std chords, that you can use. Example if you were playing a tune or riff in fret area 9  to 12 you can get  C in that regiion, dont have to go back to frets 1,2,3 to find a C.              For me anyway i find better sounding triad (chord) in the area I'm using.  Just give it a try, hope it helps.