Right and Wrong Key Notes

amills0802

Question

Wrt section ' How to improvise over any song', their is a slide that says a key is made up of 12 notes. However, in a later slide I'm told the key 'container' includes seven good notes with the other five notes being wrong notes. These two situations appear to be in conflict, I.e. the key is either made up of 12 notes or not.
Can anyone enlighten me ?

5 answers to this question

@amills0802

Basically, there are 12 notes to a key. You have 7 natural notes and 5 sharp or flat notes. If the music you are playing has no flats or sharps then A, B, C, D, E, F, and G are the 7 notes in your container and any sharp or flat would sound wrong or off. I know that I oversimplified music theory, but that is what is talked about.

Fred 🎸

Edited by Fred Soukup
  • Thumbs Up 1

Delbert & Fred comments on theory are right. Another way of looking at it, maybe it helps. If you follow the alphabet for each string on the fretboard you'll soon sèe that going 2 frets from ur previous note give you a nice sounding note from the particular octave your playing in or its neighbour. Of course if your hitting a C note you only go left 1 fret to play a B. Similarly if you are playing an F note remember it's only 1 fret left get an E. (By the way diff' for leftisIts) all about getting used to where the notes are and octave notes on the fretboard. Comes with practice just keep up the dexterity too. Cheers

If I play over a backing track in,say A; do I have to stay with pattern 1. I watch players playing up and down the fretboard and I wonder what keys they are changing to or can the same key be played on different sections of the fretboard. It always intrigues me how or why they play up and down he fretboard.

You can play in the same key up and down the fretboard as the notes for that key are also up and down the fretboard just in a different location.  As you progress with the course modules you will find that you can utilize the other patterns that are mentioned as well as the pentatonic scale patterns to stay in key. Keep at it, have fun and you will progress to where you will see exactly what I mean.

Fred 🎸

Edited by Fred Soukup