How can I stretch across the fretboard better?

Breakthrough Guitar

Two quick things that can make an immediate difference:

1. When making a big stretch, place your thumb on the middle of the back of the neck, AND in the middle of your index (pointer) finger, and your pinky. In other words, the distance from your thumb to your pointer finger, and the distance from your thumb to your pinky should be about the same.
  2. Rotate your elbow on your fretting hand in towards your body so that your elbow almost touches, or touches your side.

The main good news is that I wouldn't focus too much on making the stretches the way I make them for now. It's not the stretches that are important. It's what notes you hit!

If you need to slide your hand/fingers around a bit to hit the right notes, then no problem at all - you'll be just fine. Focus on playing the "right" notes, and getting the patterns down first.

In the meantime, I highly recommend going through the exercises in the Unlimited Dexterity course - one exercise at a time - for a couple of minutes a day until that particular one begins to feel easy - then move onto the next exercise. Your fingers will stretch further and easier than you ever imagined.

If this didn't quite answer your question, or you have a question you don't see in Instant Answers, let us know by posting your question here!