Which scale pattern(s) to use and When

Shavey

Question

I'm having a blast going through the courses and practicing and also having a little fun with applying what I'm learning with backing tracks. I may be early in my progress to ask this, but the courses are doing a great job explaining why and how.. why use a scale pattern and how to learn the patterns, and it is working great so far, but what my mind now wants to know is which scale pattern to use when? So if I'm ad-libbing to a backing track.... how do I know which pattern to use, ie... Can I use any of the major scale patterns for any key? Additionally.... the course taught a Pentatonic scale pattern and how it connects to the Major and minor scale patterns, but I'm not completely sure if you can use this scale for any key all the time?

May be too early for me based on where I am in the courses, but with with 3 scale patterns I need to understand the which and when to help me soldify what I'm learning and applying....

Thank you

2 answers to this question

@ShaveyAs you go through the course modules you are in you will learn the different patterns. When you move onto the course with the Pentatonic scales you will understand more how and where to use them. Keep following the course modules and you will see wat I mean. Yes, you can find the pentatonic scale pattern for any key.

Fred 🎸

On 11/12/2022 at 1:55 PM, Fred Soukup said:

@ShaveyAs you go through the course modules you are in you will learn the different patterns. When you move onto the course with the Pentatonic scales you will understand more how and where to use them. Keep following the course modules and you will see wat I mean. Yes, you can find the pentatonic scale pattern for any key.

Fred 🎸

Alan here. well said Fred & Shavey you'll find some things are ur choice & inter changeable, I've just responded to some one asking about scales & patterns, take a look. particular using pentatonics

When u do modes unit it explain's a lot there, which scales you can best use for music in major key or minor, & get a different feel, (mood or mode).