Beginner pedals

Guest Jay

Whats wrong with your amp?

I wouldn't recommend pedals for a beginner. I was one a yr ago. Unless you have an amp and it has no way to get it going with clean/dirty tones (gain) or reverb.

It would be better to afford a small amp with digital effects enough to satisfy your needs.

For example I have a Fender Mustang (not recommending it) that has 200 pre sets and Fender has an app that can add even more customer created tones (ex:Zep,Clapton  u name it)

Because if you stick with guitar you're going to find out your closet gets full quick because your needs change. 

As a beginner you are a long way from needing pedals. I have a Fender Princeton Reverb Amp (Not recommending) that works awesome. Your amp should suffice for now. Like Ok Ill bite said

"Because if you stick with guitar you're going to find out your closet gets full quick because your needs change."

As you become more proficient at playing guitar and are able to play better and better then you will know better what your pedal needs are. You will also save yourself some money in the process.

Edited by Fred Soukup

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I would agree that pedals are not necessarily something for beginners.  However, there are definitely pedals I classify "beginner pedals."  The first pedal I recommend for anyone is a clean boost.  I go over this very topic in my Everything you Wanted to Know About Pedals class coming up on BGA.

• 1 month later...

The answer also depends on what your amp is.  If it's a vintage 1950's/60's/70's amp-head it may not have a distortion option and even if it does, it's probably not going to give you the sound you want to play Pantera or Metallica or 1980's ZZ Top.  If it's a modern amp, as others here have said, you should have enough settings to get the sound you want.

• 3 weeks later...

Don’t know why my previous post got cut off, but the Mustang GTX with the foot switch suits my needs perfectly. I’m not a performer. I’m an old geezer who jams with other old geezers. I have three guitars and I really enjoy experimenting with the many many tonal capabilities of this amp!

• Rock On 1