Flow Across The Neck Without Thinking lesson query

Barnaby

Question

Hi, I'm enrolled on the guitar grid mastery course & in lesson 11 'Flow Across The Neck Without Thinking', there's an instruction I don't understand.
In action step 2 it says:

What we’re going to do next is find a specific number on the different strings (one string at a time), then play the major scale pattern associated with that number. For example, say you picked number 4 (out of the numbers in major scale pattern 1 that you were just “playing and saying”). What “letter note” is this? In this case, it would be a “D” note. This means, anywhere you find a “D” note on your fretboard, it will be note number 4. Now the question is… which MAJOR SCALE PATTERN starts on note number 4? It’s Major scale pattern 4, of course! Remember, Major scale pattern 1 always starts on note number 1, major scale pattern 2 always starts on note number 2, major scale pattern 3 always starts on note number 3, and so on. So here’s what to do now. One string at a time, you’re going to find a “D” note on that string, then since “D” is note number 4, you’re going to play major scale pattern 4 starting from that “D” note you found – and since you’re not starting on the Low E string anymore, you have to make sure to account for (shift up one fret) the “warp zone”. From whichever “D” note you start on, from whichever string, you’d play major scale pattern 4 in ascending order (going up in pitch), making sure you shift up one fret at the warp zone, until you run out of strings. Of course, you will have more or less strings to play depending on which string you start on. After you find note 4 (the “D” note) on at least THREE DIFFERENT STRINGS, and then play major scale pattern 4 from that note, then repeat the process with a different NUMBER. Go back to major scale pattern 1 starting on “A” on the low E string, then pick a different number, say number 2. Repeat the process of finding out what the “letter note” is for note number 2, then finding note number 2 on different strings and playing major scale pattern 2 from each “note number 2” you find. Make sure to account for the warp zone. The more you repeat this process, the more sense it will all make, and the more the “big picture” will come together so that the entire fretboard makes complete and total sense. This gives you the freedom to move around the fretboard and never have to worry or think about where you are.

I get the first part of the instruction to play pattern 1 up to the 4th note then to play pattern 4, it's after that where it says 'One string at a time, you’re going to find a “D” note on that string, then since “D” is note number 4, you’re going to play major scale pattern 4 starting from that “D” note you found'.
How do I find the the 'D' notes on different strings, is it a matter of looking it up, finding it, then playing pattern 4?

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Barnaby said:
Hi, I'm enrolled on the guitar grid mastery course & in lesson 11 'Flow Across The Neck Without Thinking', there's an instruction I don't understand.
In action step 2 it says:

I get the first part of the instruction to play pattern 1 up to the 4th note then to play pattern 4, it's after that where it says 'One string at a time, you’re going to find a “D” note on that string, then since “D” is note number 4, you’re going to play major scale pattern 4 starting from that “D” note you found'.
How do I find the the 'D' notes on different strings, is it a matter of looking it up, finding it, then playing pattern 4?

Maybe take a look at the mail I posted below (response to Total Disorder. If you play Major Pattern 1 called Ionian from A at the 5th fret the 4th note would be the D note at A string 5th fret.

But if your playing Major Pattern 1 Ionian from another key note of course the 4th note will be different

I"m not a teacher, just a fellow student but recommend that you take it slowly and gradually learn the fretboard note layout (see attached) .

do also look at the mail to Total Dissorder I mentioned, you may find it helps.

Learn notes on the guitar fretboard quickly.png

Think you could look at it that way or just look at what happens if you play in a different key. If you play in key of A the 4th would be D. If you play in key of G the 4th would be C.

Ther's jargon and terminology used about the notes and numbers, perhaps the chart I attached recently will help.

The modes unit will explain the 7 patterns and how playing them gives a different feel but I would recommend you learn the notes and Octaves first.

IMG_20230202_100037.png.jpg