Gretsch Guitars Which Kind?

Fred Soukup

Hello everyone,

Looking at Gretsch Guitars. Can somebody tell which type is the better buy the baritone, the jet electric or the duo jet electric? Really do not know what the difference is so I do not want to end up with buyers remorse or if I should even go with a Gretsch at all. A little advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Fred Soukup

• Fred Soukup changed the title to Gretsch Guitars Which Kind?
On 12/10/2021 at 6:31 PM, Beerbreath said:

Fred: can’t speak for the other Gretsch models but I love my 5420 Electromagnetic. Great, full sound and incredible sustain.

Beerbreath, thanks for the advice on the Gretsch g5420T, but at this time I prefer to stick with the solid body guitars.  That model does sound better than the other Gretsch guitars I was considering so I have decided to hold off and reconsider my options.

• 5 weeks later...

Fred:  I have a black Gretsch electromatic single cutaway duo jet with the bigsby.  I bought it used.  The previous owner replaced the bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat single coil pickup.  I love the slim neck and the bridge pickup which sounds like a hot P90.  This guitar was made in China.  I usually play strats and teles, but the Gretsch really shines with rockabilly, early Beatles, even jazz.  It has a nice fat classy tone!  I consider it pro quality with the USA bridge pickup.  It's a keeper!

• Like 1

Hey Fred!  Thanks for raising the question!  I got the Duo Jet out today and was almost able to do the 5 fret stretches in the major scales.  The Gretsch has a 24 1/2" scale length from nut to bridge which is 1/4" shorter than a Gibson.  I can't stretch or practice very long on my Strat which has the longer 25 1/2" scale length.  It was slowing me down and painful to play.  Maybe I'll make more progress with the Gretsch tomorrow.

Someone just gave me a Sott acoustic guitar that they hadn't played for years. Tried and failed to get him to try to play with me, but he insisted his fingers were too short and stubby. He was going to throw the guitar in the trash. He had switched it over from a right-handed to a left-handed guitar by reversing the nut and flipping the pick guard over. It needs new bridge pins and one of the tuning pegs needs repaired but is still functional. I cleaned the guitar up and played it before I started switching it back to a right-handed guitar and it sounds nice. Can anyone tell me about Scott acoustic guitars? I am going to fix this one up and probably give it to a veteran who wants to learn how to play. So any information you can give me would help.