Introduction

Lee L.

Hi everyone. My name is Lee L. And I’ve been learning guitar for about a year and a half. Decided to take this up at 71 years old. Wish I had started sooner but now’s the time. Not very good by any means. My fingers have a mind of their own sometimes and it gets frustrating but I’m is it for the long hall. (Don’t know what the long hall is at 72 but here’s hoping). Just want to play well enough to have fun and hit the right notes. Hope these lessons and community can help. Just tried the fitness exercise and can’t get my fingers to spread over 4 frets but I’ll get there. Nice to be a part of the forum.

Edited by Lee L.
  • Love 1

• Lee L. changed the title to Introduction

My story is similar to yours.  I started guitar at 73 (never played a musical instrument in my life). Was introduced to guitar by a program called "guitars for vets" on of its many values is helping vets deal with their PTSD {Yes I'm a VietNam vet USMC 1966->67. Just want to be able to play songs from the 60s 70s with a few friends or alone.  It is currently fustrating not being able to change chords fast enough, and trying to keep the beat, count to 4, those 2 things together prevent me from even considering sing the words to a song.  Anyway I'll hang in there cause I'm determined to accomplish my goal.    Thanks Ray

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you all for your encouragements. Ray: Thank you for your service. I too am a Vietnam vet USMC 69-71 . Having the same problems changing cords fast enough and hitting the correct strings. Gets very frustrating. Should have bought two guitars, one to play and one to smash. I’m greatfull every day to just be alive and have the opportunity to live life and try and play this thing. Truth is every day we succeed! Failure doesn’t exist. It’s a myth. It only exists in out minds. Nobody ever fails at anything. Every step is toward the success we will attain if we persist.

Edited by Lee L.
  • Thumbs Up 1