• Bob Dylan
    • Chet Atkins
    • Nick Drake
    • Bert Jansch
    • Merle Travis
    • Vicki Genfan
    • Patty Griffin
    • Tom Jans

Folk music is popular in today's society, the style of music has no precise origin like most genres. 🎸

However, folk music is the music of the working class, Folk music is known to speak for the problems society faced as time went on. War, love, and even civil rights. 

Folk music has always been relatable, fun, and adaptive. 🎙️

Artist like Eric Clapton, Richard Thompson, and even Jimmy Page played their own Folk music and now we want to know in this specific genre who's your favorite? 

Let us know your opinions, tell us why you love them, we want to know! 🎶

• 3 weeks later...

I love the music of James Taylor for the variety and especially for the unique guitar playing.   Early on I got one of his books that included tabliture for his finger picking styles.  I have now incorporated this into my playing and it unconsciously colors the way I play in a good way.  Also, I am a fan of Mississippi John Hurt.   I love his style of playing and have learned a number of his songs:  Candy Man is probably my favorite and taught me a lot about playing up and down the neck.  Bill Staines would be a third mentor in this vein.   His songcraft is excellent and I have several of his songs as favorites to play for friends including Roseville Fair and Sweet Wyoming HOme.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brian.  I agree with you James Taylor would be at the top of my list.  I like to go back in time further as well.  Doc Watson was so cool and innovative for his era.  Early acoustic Bob Dylan is one of my other favorites.  There are a lot of interesting singer/songwriters in Texas and Nashville.  I guess they might not be mainly folk but are American roots musicians and clever lyricists.  Joan Baez who was a contemporary of Dylan's in the 60's is another favorite of mine.  I will check out Missippi John Hurt and Bill Staines.  Thanks for the callout.