Wrist pain

Dawn

I've played guitar for nearly 50 years but when I improvise or practice the scales my wrist kills me on the chording hand. It keeps me from practicing very long. What am I doing wrong?

1 hour ago, Dawn said:

I've played guitar for nearly 50 years but when I improvise or practice the scales my wrist kills me on the chording hand. It keeps me from practicing very long. What am I doing wrong?

I am not a DR but one of the things you can do and that has helped me is look at the course on dexterity. there is an exercise that you can use to loosen up your wrist and hand. It is like scooping sand. Put your fretting hand next to your leg then with your palm up close your fingers one at a time like you are scooping sand. closing each finger like you are making a fist while doing a scooping motion. try it for 3 - 4 minutes. your wrist and your hand should be loose and help with the pain. At least it does for me. you may also want to check your hand positioning

Edited by Fred Soukup