How am I doing? Rhythm adding a Short Riff

DeafBlind Renee

Question

Posted (edited)

Ok, in another place, I posted about figuring a little riff that I noted from listening to Bad Moon Rising and discovering it was a little bit from D Major Pentatonic around the D chord at the end of the lines in a couple of verses. I have been working to incorporate that little riff in fast enough into the rhythm. I am attaching this after only a week or so of practice to see how I am coming along. I know I am not there, yet, but I am asking for opinions and suggestions. It's scary to do this, and especially given the fact that this isn't as polished a version one might record and put out there, but feedback is supposed to be helpful. You might save me heartache if I ask now. 

I play the entire song here only adding the little riff in the third verse after the little rhythm solo. It is simply a D string 2 h 4 and G string 2 h 4 and back to 2. I have been trying to find ways to play the D after the riff and the A following to better get to speed on the riff. Barring the 2nd fret and playing the 2nd fret 3rd string of the D with the ring finger followed by barring the A chord with one finger seems to be the best. I still sometimes miss the first 2 h 4 and I did it this time, too, but I'm still going to put it out there as rough as the tries were. If anything, many of you are scared to post much of your actual playing, so maybe you will see that mistakes happen. I make more when I know I am recording which is what happened here. I have been doing fairly ok for a few days, and once the recording was going, my fingers forgot their places. I am only going to get better if I record myself more and even put out there to get over that fear, so here goes. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

@Danny, @Doug Van Bevers

Thanks. 

Edited by DeafBlind Renee

4 answers to this question

22 hours ago, DeafBlind Renee said:

Ok, in another place, I posted about figuring a little riff that I noted from listening to Bad Moon Rising and discovering it was a little bit from D Major Pentatonic around the D chord at the end of the lines in a couple of verses. I have been working to incorporate that little riff in fast enough into the rhythm. I am attaching this after only a week or so of practice to see how I am coming along. I know I am not there, yet, but I am asking for opinions and suggestions. It's scary to do this, and especially given the fact that this isn't as polished a version one might record and put out there, but feedback is supposed to be helpful. You might save me heartache if I ask now. 

I play the entire song here only adding the little riff in the third verse after the little rhythm solo. It is simply a D string 2 h 4 and G string 2 h 4 and back to 2. I have been trying to find ways to play the D after the riff and the A following to better get to speed on the riff. Barring the 2nd fret and playing the 2nd fret 3rd string of the D with the ring finger followed by barring the A chord with one finger seems to be the best. I still sometimes miss the first 2 h 4 and I did it this time, too, but I'm still going to put it out there as rough as the tries were. If anything, many of you are scared to post much of your actual playing, so maybe you will see that mistakes happen. I make more when I know I am recording which is what happened here. I have been doing fairly ok for a few days, and once the recording was going, my fingers forgot their places. I am only going to get better if I record myself more and even put out there to get over that fear, so here goes. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

@Danny, @Doug Van Bevers

Thanks. 

The only thing I'm really hearing major is, you should be playing the D chord for an additional measure at the beginning of each phrase. Remember, the chord progression in the verses both start and resolve on the D chord. So make sure you're not cutting either parts time on the D chord too short. Otherwise, it seems like you're pretty close! 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Danny said:

The only thing I'm really hearing major is, you should be playing the D chord for an additional measure at the beginning of each phrase. Remember, the chord progression in the verses both start and resolve on the D chord. So make sure you're not cutting either parts time on the D chord too short. Otherwise, it seems like you're pretty close! 

Great. I didn't know that at all. I have limited access to chord files and even less to Tabs. The few I found were showing very easy versions of the songs I like. I have been guessing a good bit actually. I knew it wasn't right, so asking for help was the best decision. I think fear and lack of confidence plaques a lot of us. I know I need to let it go if I really want to get good at this. 🙂

Thank you. Even telling me I was wrong was done nicely and with good suggestions making it mostly painless. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 2:29 PM, DeafBlind Renee said:

@Danny, @Doug Van Bevers

Thanks. 

you're doing great because without reading your description I Immediately knew what song you were playing. make sure to listen to the song and play along to it and listen to how long they play the chords. and work on the intro to the riff where they mute the first Chords after the play it.  D D DDD A A G G D D DDD D D 

• Love 1

On 6/13/2022 at 3:39 PM, Doug Van Bevers said:

Thank you, Doug! I consider the praise and suggestions of BTG Teachers extremely noteworthy. Yes, I do remember the iconic intro from days gone by of how this intro did a du du du ududu dudu... kind of thing. It only seems to do that exact thing in the intro if I am remembering right. I can hear it in my head. I'm trying to feel it from the recordings now. It's just kind of different that way, and I have only in very recent years began being able to turn tactile vibrations into "thought sounds", so it is still a lesson in process. lol I'm working on it, though. Knowing the song from sound when I was younger with hearing aids helps, though.  Intro has the break in the initial chords I think. Then in general the phrases have kind of the sandwich chord progression going on with D  at the beginning and the end on the verses. D A G D repeated. Intro is D A G DD  I think, anyway. I am going to pay attention to that and see. Thank you! This is extremely encouraging to me.

• Congrats 1